Sunday, July 13, 2008

Favorite Birthday - Fun Monday

IamwhoIam of Dungarees Ablaze, the enigmatic host of this week's celebratory Fun Monday party is requesting that we tell about one of our favorite birthdays.

Of my birthdays (and I have several to choose from...61 to be exact), I liked my fourth, fifth, and sixth. For my fourth birthday, I received a doll that I named Linda after my best friend at the time. For my fifth birthday, my parents gave me this cool cowgirl outfit. And for my sixth birthday, my parents bought me what I always wanted a plastic six-shooter so that I could be a real cowgirl just like Annie Oakley.



Birthdays seem to be magical times for young children of preschool age. Something curious that I noticed about my own sons. Each son mentioned his upcoming fifth birthday starting the day after his fourth birthday until the day that he turned five. My theory is that when a child turns four, he or she has vivid memories of the third birthday. On the day of the fourth birthday, the little darling realizes that these birthdays come every year and that presents, good food, fun, and festivities always are a part of the celebration. I loved the simple parties we had for the boy's birthdays. For each son's fifth birthday party, I made a cake of their choice, cooked sloppy joes, and invited a few childhood friends. For party favors, the children received a box of crayons in a brown paper bag. The first activity was decorating the bag with the crayons. Other than eating, we played a few simple games, and everyone was happy.


I hope that you have many birthdays and that they are all happy. You can find out about other best birthdays at Dungarees Ablaze .

28 comments:

karisma said...

Oh how cute!

I used to absolutely love kids parties when I was a bit younger. I would bake everything myself and invite far too many children. (One of those people who does not want to leave anyone out for fear of upsetting them). These days I am far too lazy and would rather pay someone else to do it for me! Or keep the party to a few kids having a sleepover. Much easier.

Hootin Anni said...

Your 7th birthday then, cowboy boots? [kidding] What an adorable outfit. Let me guess, red?

This was sweet really sweet, I loved the photo; it's darling.

Irish Coffeehouse said...

You go Annie! :)

Very cute. And yes, I do believe your observation about 4 turning 5 with children is pretty accurate.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Oh, I love the six shooter. I too had dreams of becoming Annie Oakley as well when I was that age. And I thought I was as good as her too when I shot my brother's BB gun! Happy Monday :0)

Jan said...

I still have that 4 year old outlook. This is a wonderful post, and I love the photo. I was a cowgirl, too. Still am, at heart, not in practice.

Mary said...

Loved the photo of you in your cowgirl outfit. I always wanted on of those but only got the hat and the six shooters. I think every little girl back then wanted to be Anni Oakley. Enjoyed your post.

Blessings for a great week.
Mary

Jo Beaufoix said...

I think you're right. Up to now Miss M hasn't really 'got' birthdays, but I think when birthdsay number four comes next January she'll be raring to go. :D

Sayre said...

I love the cowgirl outfit!!!

My son started talking about his tenth birthday the day after his ninth. They do outgrow that eventually, don't they?

Nessa said...

I got a cowgirl outfit like that for Christmas when I was four. It was also the year I had scarlet fever for Christmas.

ChrisB said...

Now that is a cute little outfit. I can remember my children having cowgirl outfits complete with the six shooters~ great fun but the caps were a bit noisy and smelly if I recall correctly!

Heather said...

I love the cowgirl outfit. I also love that your parents bought you the toy gun to complete the outfit! I think I love it even more because that's what you wanted for a gift.

My son's 8th birthday party was at home with ten boys and the greatest compliment I received was from the neighbor boy who told me, "I didn't know this party would be so much fun!" Birthday parties at home are a rarity nowadays!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Fabulous picture! I luv it.

Anonymous said...

Molly, what a DARLING picture; when I first read which of your birthdays were your favorites, I thought, "How can she remember???". BUT, your explanation makes perfect sense and reminds me how my own children looked forward to the "next" one during those same years.

There's nothing to replace the magic of childhood...well put :).

Anonymous said...

What an adorable little outfit. It reminds me of when our Mimi would only wear her sister's cast-off cowgirl boots...on the wrong feet!

I like your theory and it makes perfect sense to me.

Anonymous said...

will make that cake for your son 35th,after reading your post, I am going to start thinking seriously about my kid's birthdays. YOur kids must have enjoyed their birthdays

storyteller said...

What a great photo of you all dressed for action! Thanks for sharing your memories today.
Hugs and blessings,

Faye said...

What a cute little cowgirl! Don't you just get nostalgic for those days when kids looked like kids--not wannabe vamps?

IamwhoIam said...

Wonder how my 90 year old Dad would decorate his bag - oh he would most likely do the majic ball trick your boys would love it. Hold the bag in you hand between you finger and thumb. Then pretend to throw a ball, and snap you finger just as the imaginare ball would be cought in the bag.

my4kids said...

That picture of you is soo cute!

Peter said...

Cute photo but I'm glad you got the boots the next year.

debi said...

All your pictures are always wonderful. I cannot believe how much you still look like this little cowgirl. I look so different than I did then. Thanks Molly.

Unknown said...

I do love the simplicity of years ago. I remember playing simple little games like sitting on balloons and trying to pop them and such. I doubt kids do those anymore.

Alison said...

great picture Molly, I agree,kid's parties are the best!!

daddy d said...

What a fine young cow girl! She is a sure shot.

Pamela said...

I'm so jealous. I always wanted a cowgirl skirt and hat.

Anonymous said...

WOw, you were totally stinking cute in that picture.

Anonymous said...

That is one cute cowgirl.

captain corky said...

We just celebrated Max's first birthday a couple of weeks and it was a lot of fun. Just a few friends, some hot dogs and hamburgers, and ice cream and cake. Max loved his cake! He didn't really care too much about his presents though. :)