Saturday, August 9, 2008

Round Robin Challenge: Night Shots.

Today's Round Robin challenge is Night Shots. My night shot is a flower that my mother-in-law gave my husband a few years ago. She calls these flowers, Night Bloomers, and the plant does indeed bloom at night. In fact she has planted her bloomers in the ground and will have 30 some blossoms in an evening. The flower has some characteristics of the Common Evening Primrose with yellow petals and a crosslike stigma. However, there are some differences as well. These Night Bloomers produce one blossom on a long stem. I cannot locate the specific species, but I am sure this night blossoming flower belongs to the genus, Oenothera.





Night Bloomer, Oenothera

13 comments:

daddy d said...

The common name is "Night Bloomer",for sure.
But, the scientific name is "Yellowie Nightous Bloomerist"

Carly said...

Hi Molly :)

I love night blooming flowers, and these are just gorgeous. That soft yellow color is so pleasing to the eye. Do they have a scent? Night blooming jasmine is such a night scent to fall asleep to. Gorgeous, just gorgeous!

-Carly

TJ said...

I haven't a single night bloomer. You have caught my interest here.
Thanks for sharing.
TJ

Anonymous said...

that is beautiful. and i love the fact that it blossoms at night! i've never heard of night blossoming flowers...might have to look into those!!
have a great day!
xo

Sandcastle Momma said...

Your flower is beautiful! I've never seen them before but after seeing your picture I know I want some! I wonder if they'll grow here in the salt and heat.

Anonymous said...

they are beautiful

Steven said...

Wow. Bet hawk moths would love those fresh blooms in the evening. Nice.

Jan AKA Wammy said...

I guess I am going to have to figure out where I can find some night bloomers. I only know of another one...moon flowers. They are like mornig glories only the bloom at night and are very fragrant.

MyMaracas said...

Thanks for sharing those! I've never seen that flower before, and it's lovely. My mom used to grow moonflowers. The effect of those big, blowsy blossoms glowing in the night was pure magic.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

There are cactus flowers that bloom at night: night-blooming cereus, for one. But I don't when it happens or where to find some when they do.

Nice shot! I like the paleness of the bloom, and the contrasting charcoal color of the background.

Unknown said...

Nightbloomers are kinda sad to me as so few people get to see them.

Jenni said...

I was thinking it looks like Missouri Evening Primrose which is in the Oenothera group. Very nice shot!

Celeste said...

Beautiful