Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dream a Little Dream with Me

This week's Fun Monday hostess is Jill, of The Adventures of Lil Mouse. Jill asking us about our dreams. Specifically, Jill asks, "Do you have any dreams, particularly recurrent ones that you feel no one else has? Or, just tell us about an odd dream you had as a kid.


Usually, I do not dream, or perhaps, something about my advanced age makes me incapable of remembering my dreams. However, conveniently for this Fun Monday, this past Friday night my sleep was disturbed by a frightening and memorable dream. In my dream, I was in very close proximity to an oncoming tornado. Strangely, this scary dream coincides with one of my real-life fantasies of photographing one of these dangerous weather phenomena. When I hear the television announcer proclaim a tornado warning or even when the local siren sounds the alarm, I always grab my camera and look for funnel clouds through the doorways and windows. You may think that being more frightened of an imaginary threat than a real hazard is strange. However, for some reason, the shadowy unknown always seems scarier to me than actual dangers.

I do remember another strange twilight dreaminess experience from my younger years. A couple of times, when I was in my teens, I remember being asleep, but I was conscious of trying to wake up. However, for a time period, which seemed eternal, I was not able to wake and be fully conscious. In this dreamlike not quite awake state, I seemed to float about the house. Although there were no scary monsters in these dreams, the semi-conscious state frightened me as I apparently had little control of my being.

Then, as a child, I dreamt that I was in a dentist chair, and this lady with hairy fingernails tried to choke me. When I awoke, the sheet was wrapped around my neck. (((Shudder))) This dream scared me for months. I may be fortunate not to remember most dreams these days.

17 comments:

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Wow, you are one fearless woman to want to take a photo of a tornado!

For the others...the wanting to move and unable to and the blanket...I think they're normal, yet can be dangerous at time when we get too much of it...there is a medical term for it, just can't remember in my local dialect the closest translation I can get is 'nightmare'.

Thanks for sharing...

MommyWizdom said...

That last one is scary... I'm sorry you still remember that. As for the twilight dreaminess, I used to have those too. It was scary not being able to wake up. Sometimes, I think I would scare myself more than necessary.

Thanks for sharing your dreams!

I hope you get to safely photograph a tornado someday... I think. Lol.

MommyWizdom

Sayre said...

hairy fingernails? How strange! I've been having tornado dreams since I was a little kid. Then moved to Oklahoma where I was actually IN one. A dream come true. No pictures though...

Ari_1965 said...

Ooh, hairy fingernails!

Molly, I had trouble getting my Fun Monday post to post. If you'd come back to my blog, I've posted something more humorous than my last "nightmare" post.

Gattina said...

I used to have nightmares when I was in my 50th ! but now I don't dream anymore or very very rarely !

Richard Finucane said...

Tornado dreams are probably my most frequently reoccurring dream. I was dead terrified of storms as a kid because of the threat of tornadoes, and I believe this is left over from that fear.

My wife and I were waiting outside for a table at Olive Garden when the tornado that hit the mall area of Merrillville, IN came through. I was able to spot it as it approached and we got inside to safety, but since then I haven't been so afraid of them since I know have a better idea of what to look for. The dreams have also changed since then to reflect that, but I still have them pretty frequently.

You're also not alone, when ever the sirens go off, unless it is an obvious massive storm, I always grab the camera and run outside. I've seen enough funnel clouds in this area now to "think" I can tell if there is actual danger, or not.

margaret (the misanthrope) said...

Molly, I see I'm not the only one with tornado dreams! And your "subconscious floating" dream was fascinating!

And thank you for your lovely comment on my post. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and that you relate to my status as a "recovering Catholic". As much damage as I feel that that upbringing did to me, I wanted to be absolutely certain that I appear to be condemning Catholicism as a whole. I respect others' choices regarding religion...since that is a deeply personal thing and is not to be judged by others (as long as nobody tries to force it on me, heehee).

Anyway, sorry for rambling, and thanks for visiting! Happy FM to you!

margaret (the misanthrope) said...

Oops, I should've said that I did NOT want to appear to condemn Catholicism as a whole...sorry ;-)

Hootin Anni said...

First Molly...I love the title caption for your dream entry. Then, the one in the dentist chair and the strangulation would have scared the poop out of me...well, after reading Mariposa's entry today, maybe that's a good thing....poop=money!!!

Then, the one about the tornado chasers and photographing this, I find myself actually wanting to do something like that in REAL time. And hurricane photos too. Odd, I know.


I completely forgot about Fun Monday this week. But I did post a FUN-mon post, so if you'd like to drop by for a few giggles, you're invited!! Happy week to you.

jill said...

ahh, a storm chaser. brialliant. someone has to get those photos! I also had a tornado dream as one of those 'long' dreams, where I was trying to get all the pets and family downstairs, but someone kept escaping with the tornado coming..yikes! I had a dream as a kid that a scary witch made all my teeth fall out of my mouth, including a lot of gooey dark blood. I woke up and my TEETH hurt! Thanks for playing and sticking to it when mr linky crashed!

Nessa said...

I find the hairy fingernail dream quite creepy.

Pamela said...

I want to see a tornado, too.
I haven't posted for fun monday in weeks. I've been distracted.

I think that one dream you describe is actually sleep paralysis. I've read about this before -- and that some people experience it more often then others. Very frightening apparently.

Junebug said...

I used to dream of tornadoes. I saw them lined up on the horizon about 5 of them. Then one day I saw this for real. It was scary. I was all by myself too.

ChrisB said...

I've been so busy today I haven't done a FM post yet. I rarely remember my dreams these days so I'll have to go back a few years.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Yikes! The one about the dentist's chair is terrifying! And tornadoes...there would not be any camera grabbing for me, my friend! I would be burying my head in the nearest closet for sure!

daddy d said...

Hairy fingernail dreams. Wow!

Karina said...

Just getting around to Fun Mondayers now (better late than never, right?) ;-)

What is it with the Tornado dreams? EEEK, they freak me out just thinking about them! EEEK!!!

I've had that "not quite awake, awake" dream before a few times too...