Sunday, May 27, 2012

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day seems like an oxymoron meaning that perhaps, such a commemorative day is not a call for joyous celebration. According Memorial Day History site, the day has been set aside for this reason, "Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service." Also according to the site, the actual origins of the day are somewhat cloudy. Furthermore, in addition to honoring those who have died in service to our nation, here in the United States, we honor living veterans and loved ones who have died.


My father, Byron W. Thompson, who died in the early nineties, was not a veteran but was supportive of the war effort by raising three daughters and by making vehicles for International Harvester during World War II. He also had two brothers, who served in the military during the war. One brother, Max, regretfully died in Europe as a bombardier. The other brother, Paul, served in the Pacific, and still lives today.  




My father's favorite flower was the iris; hence, irises remind me of him. Since irises frequently are in bloom in our location in late May, to me irises are also reminiscent of Memorial Day. These unusual irises in the picture were planted by some former homeowners. Each of the three springs since moving to our new home, I have delighted in these flowers as a reminder of my dad. This year, probably to due the warm winter and early spring season, the blooms have been quite prolific.


On this Memorial Day, I wish to thank our veterans both living and those that died in our conflicts. Moreover, I remember my parents, who were ever respectful of the military.  I wish not only to honor but to celebrate those lives.







2 comments:

Margaret said...

I have lots of vets in my family, but none have died in wars. Love the iris and the two tone. We have lavender and deep purple ones in our yard. They're blooming beautifully now too!

daddyd said...

All so true:flowers and flag. Plus, this time of year is the unofficial start of summer. The temperature helps that idea along.