Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Off with Their Heads"

to quote the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland. As you may know from my previous two posts, I live in Camelot. The flowers that grow here in the kingdom grow without much help. That is to say, I am not much of a gardener. However, one thing I do every morning during the month of July is deadhead the Day Lilies. As many of you know, deadheading is the removal of spent or nearly spent flowers so that the plant can use those energy reserves making more plant body or flowers rather than seeds (or fruit). The results seem to be magnificent as the lilies keep on blooming for about a month. In fact this year, we will have blooms for a few weeks into the month of August. This circle of life and death appears to be a very real and practical event in the Plant Kingdom.


Patch of Hemerocalis fulva that are neither spinning or toiling

Alas, spent heads sacrificed for the good of all of the other Hemerocalis fulva blossoms.

9 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm not very good at deadheading. Or should I say that I'm just too lazy to do it?

karisma said...

Loverly! Looks like a happy place for faeries!

The spent heads will make lovely compost material!

Unknown said...

I'm so bad at deadheading. :) Looks like you do a better job at it than I do. :) Wanna come over?

Nessa said...

Awww.....

debi said...

I love deadheading my petunias.Hm, that sounds not nice. I also love it when you pop in, gracias!

daddy d said...

Deadheading sounds mean, but it is a good way to make the plant more productive. Sort of makes for more flowers, which are a joy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly - thanks for the visit. Yes it's Watermark by Enya - one of my favourites pieces sometimes I just put my blogger on just to listen to the muisc LOL Hope all is well with you, love Judyx

ps love your site will come back to it later in the day - just off to church now.

Anonymous said...

pinched your thoughts on flowers and did a blog the flowers in my garden..Judyx

Biddie said...

I love flowers but I am not committed enough to do any follow through. As a result, most of my flowers look like they have been deadhead-ed. :)