Saturday, August 23, 2008

Round Robin - Public Art

For this week's Round Robin, participants are displaying public art. My public art picture is located in St. Joseph, Michigan on the Silver Beach along the scenic blue waters of Lake Michigan. The sculpture is And You, Seas created by Richard Hunt. The statue was commissioned in memory of Patrick J. Kinney for his life-long interest in sculpture and in sailing. Soaring more than 40 feet above the water, Hunt's nautical design can be appreciated from all angles and directions, but it is especially captivating from the lake guiding and welcoming boaters to the Port of St. Joseph along the St. Joseph Channel.

For a list of other participants, visit Carly at Round Robin Photo Challenge.

11 comments:

Carly said...

Hello Molly :)

That sculpture is just gorgeous! What an interesting person who inspired it. Fascinating. I love the colors, a lot of the time sculptures are devoid of color, so this is a nice change of pace. Thanks for playing!

Always, Carly

Pamela said...

I've got to go get my reading glasses and then click on it to see what the smaller curves are.

It sure dwarfs people!

daddy d said...

That is really fine harbor and park area. They have some really fine music there at different times. Quality place. Fun times are had there.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I like the background info on this; thanks for sharing that. Once I read it I clicked to enlarge again, bt my computer wouldn't let me take another look! :( I think the base is my favorite part of it.

Margaret said...

That is an amazing sculpture and a beautiful photo too!

Teena in Toronto said...

That's so lovely :)

I played too :)

MyMaracas said...

What a lovely sculpture. The lines indeed make it seem to be soaring. I clicked to enlarge, and it worked for me. Beautiful!

Faye said...

This sculpture reminded me of several freedom/patriotism pieces I saw in Ukraine. I'm also curious about where the major work was done and how the installation for such a majestic piece happened.

Jama said...

what a beautiful sculpture!

Unknown said...

That is a glorious sculpture! I love it!

Anonymous said...

how gorgeous!! i have to go there. i can't believe it's in michigan and i don't think i've ever been there!!