Sunday, September 14, 2008

And then some more...

Yesterday, I posted pictures of our recent flood. Although the water in the stream (drainage ditch) in front of our home breaches its banks from time to time, the water usually recedes in a few hours. On Saturday, Weather Underground, reported that our town had received 4.01 inches in 24 hours. A weather station at the school where I teach science to seventh graders, recorded 6.71 inches in a 24 hour period. Whatever the amount at our home, both reports amount to a great deal of rain. Yesterday's water did recede although the ditch was quite full.



Neighborhood Flooding


This morning when Daddy D and I left for church, the ditch was quite full from yesterday's torrential downpour. Also, although rain was falling, the precipitation was light as we left our home. However, when we attended the worship services, the rainfall steadily increased, and perhaps 2-3 more inches fell. As we arrived home the lake in front of our home was even more expansive. We knew the water was at least knee deep in places so we parked the car at a local business and waded through the floodwaters to our house. When we arrived at our house, we were delighted to find the power on and the sump pump was steadily removing water from the seeping basement.

More Water in the Neighborhood

Although this flooding is bothersome and inconvenient, we are really doing well. Currently, the water level is slowly dropping outside. Additionally, the rain has virtually stopped falling. Furthermore, as Annie sang, "The sun will come out tomorrow." Or at least, there is sunshine in the forecast.

Although there are flood waters in the foreground if you look closely, you can spot a faint rainbow in the sky, a symbol of the good weather to follow. Friends, take care and stay dry.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tornadoes and massive rain fall here is nothing compared to what others have gone through in Texas, although I wish we could have gotten a rainbow!

Margaret said...

I'm glad that the weather forecast is improving, so all those "lakes" can go away! We are having a run of beautiful, dry 80 degree days. (the ones I was waiting for in August!)

willowtree said...

Holy crepe!

wendishness said...

I don't know how you cope with it all.

karisma said...

Thats not as bad as I was imagining it after seeing the news of Texas, Im glad you are safe and the water is going down!

Hootin Anni said...

Hi Molly....
Even if you're NOT doing Fun Monday, I had to stop by to say 'hi'.

Wow...that is a lot of rain...we've been flooded too, but it's from Hurricane Ike.

Yep, there is always tomorrow.

Cazzie!!! said...

Far out! Stay dry! I have no choice in this dreaded drought we are in here, what we would not give for rain, so ironic, you have more than you would bargain for and we need it.... the World's weather is loopy!

daddy d said...

It is drying out now. The sky looks like rain, but it is not suppost to rain all week. I wanted a backup sump pump for the 0.50 horse Wayne. I could only find an ACE 0.33 horse. Wayne 1/2 horse pumps are nice. So I waiting ...

storyteller said...

Thanks for sharing the update … with photos … and letting us know you’re doing okay. I love the rainbow in the last photo. I hope the waters recede soon. Take care ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Unknown said...

Hey, I see the rainbow! Looks like a lotta water!

Anonymous said...

wow - I spent a day last week on an emergency exercise in case our area gets flooded as we live close to the River Thames..it is quite frighening what water can do!!

but to cheer you up Molly :)

I have been tagged in which I must write 8 random facts about myself. I tagged your blog so come over and read my 8 random facts and then you get to write 8 random facts about yourself.

maybe you would like to have ago, take care, Judyx

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are safe, keep us posted

Anonymous said...

What a way to get your own personal island! I'm glad all is well and that the sump pump is doing it's job.

Take care, It's to see that rainbow of promise.

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Glad to hear you didn't lose power - seems like every part of the country has been flooded at some point or another this year!

karisma said...

Well I was just feeling guilty for not visiting for a while but see you have not posted anyway! LOL! I hope all is well over there! Take care!

Tiggerlane said...

Wow...I sure hope the waters have receded!!

Hang in there, and beware lurking mold and mildew!

Tiggerlane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
captain corky said...

That same day Louisville got hammered with a wind storm from Ike that knocked out power for days all over the city. It was crazy but since then everythings back to normal. Hope you guys are doing well.

karisma said...

Hmmm! I see your blog keepup is worse than mine! LOL! TC has been cramming for her science exam this week and wanted to know which one of my blogbuds was the science teacher! I think she was after some online lessons LOL! I had to admit to her I had not seen you around for a bit! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Take care, hugs xxxxx